November has just arrived but you may already be thinking about Thanksgiving. While you have the holiday and its delicious food on the brain, take some time to learn about food sustainability!
Did you know: “Avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet?” That is according to "The Guardian."
Decreasing the amount of meat in your diet can have a number of benefits including:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Prevent the deforestation of land that would be cleared to feed and raise animals.
- Protect bodies of water from having excessive amounts of nutrients from farm runoff, a situation that results in growth of too much algae and plant matter.
- Opt for a Meatless Monday (or any other day) and reduce your overall meat consumption by 15%! * Check out the Meatless Monday website for recipes and tips!
- Figure out your FoodPrint to determine the environmental cost of your diet and how you can eat more sustainably!
- Learn more about the implications for climate change at the SIU Energy Forum on November 8 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Student Center Art Gallery.
All are welcome!
Post Credit: Erin Woolard, 2018 fall Sustainability Fellow
Keep up the great work,
Saluki Green Action Team