Hello Saluki Green Action Team - SGATs!
October is Sustainability Month. The EcoChallenge competition, running from October 3 - 24, is one of the ways you can get involved!
Did you know: SIU Carbondale and Edwardsville have joined forces as "SIUnited" to win this nationwide competition!
With EcoChallenge, you choose a challenge, take action, earn points and see our collective impact add up. Here are some examples of sustainable actions:
- Food: eat meatless meals, eat locally-sourced products, do meals planning.
- Health: exercise daily, sleep enough, quit smoking, avoid refined sugar, and audit/eliminate toxic cleaners at home.
- Water: limit showers to 5 minutes or less, turn off water while brushing teeth, repair or report leaky faucets.
- Energy: switch to LED light bulbs, adjust the thermostat and open windows, and turn unnecessary lights off.
- Waste: compost your food waste, print two-sided, recycle everything you can and use reusable shopping bags and water bottles.
- Transportation: use public transit, carpool, bike or walk instead of driving – we are a bicycle friendly university!
- Join the SIUnited team now!
Find out more: October 2018 EcoChallenge
Post Credit: Cecilia Albert-Black, 2018 fall Sustainability Fellow
Win a Prize: Share our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram posts! Invite your friends to sign up, and you'll receive an extra entry in our next prize drawing.
Keep up the great work,
Saluki Green Action Team