SIU Sustainability Main Content
For details on Earth Day 2015 and the #siuGREENurselfie contest, please click here!
SIU Carbondale’s history of sustainability starts as early as 1959 with R. Buckminster Fuller, a professor here from 1959-1971, who many credit as being the father of the modern sustainability movement. During his time at SIU, Bucky traveled the world encouraging sustainable values through his philosophies and designs. He was tireless in his call to “do more with less” and create a world that would “work for 100% of humanity […] without ecological destruction.” Today, many people involved in sustainable efforts around the world are aware of Fuller’s work and connect him to SIU.
SIU Carbondale became the first school in Illinois to sign the Talloires Declaration in 1999. Created by presidents of institutions of higher learning, the declaration consisted of 10 foundational actions and signified that SIU was committed to becoming a leader in developing, creating and maintaining sustainability. The signing of this document led to the development of Southern Sustainability, which completed the school’s first environmental assessment in 2000.