Green Fund Projects
Instituted in 2009, the Green Fund has awarded funding for 193 projects, totaling over $2.2 million allocated in sustainability across the SIU Carbondale campus community. Categories of projects have included food, energy efficiency, renewable energy, greening/grounds, transportation, waste, and outreach for sustainability efforts.
Green Fund Project Reports
The following project reports are categorized based on round (semester) for the fall and spring terms. Project manager contact information has been removed from some reports. NOTE: Funding criteria has changed over the years. Projects proposed now that are similar to those funded in the past may not be funded again. In fact, we encourage applicants to look at new, emerging trends and to develop innovative solutions to existing sustainability challenges. Reference our rubric for more information about our evaluation process.
The first link for each project (embedded in the project name) is the final report. Some projects also include additional information (please click on the " more information" link).
Round 16 Spring 2019 - Press release
- Install Water Cooler with Bottle Filler at Existing Location (Quigley)
- Wall and Grand Recycle Project
Round 15 Spring 2018 - Press release
- Occupancy Motion Sensing Lights
- Parkinson Hall Window Films
- Paper and Printer Ink Waste Reduction
- Sustainable Coffee Sleeves
- Destined for Digital
- Wildlife and Pollinator Enhancement for SIU Farms
- Lincoln Drive Bike Lanes
- H20s for the RSOs
- Environment Impact Reduction
- Repurposing SIUC Generated Waste Motor Oil
- Retrofit Current Fix-it Bike Stations
- Bottle Filling Stations
- Occupancy Motion Sensing Lights in Computer Lab
- Sustainable Meals
- Touch of Nature Multi-Use Trails Project, more information - 1, 2.
- Sustainable Agroforestry Practices for SIU Farms
- Ecological Lighting and Power for Alt.News 26:46
- Campus Lake Vegetation Project
- Green Dawgs Day, more information.
- Touch of Nature Graduate Assistant- Outreach
- Developing a Digital Trail Map for Southern Illinois
- Sustainable Eco-Recreation, more information - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Round 13 Spring 2016 - Press release
- Land Management Plan for Touch of Nature
- SIU in Touch with Sustainability
- Agriculture Building Elkay Water Station
- Education in Motion Program
- LED Lighting Project
- Lactation Accommodation, more information 1, 2.
- MCM Filmmakers United
- GA for Energy Efficiency
- Composting Facility Skid-Steer and Can Cleaner
- Rainbow's End Green Project
- LOGIC, more information.
- Paper Recycling
- Take Control
- 3D Print Recycling
- Touch of Nature Bridge
- SIU Bicycle Master Plan
- Vermi-compost Revitalization Project
Round 12 Spring 2015 - Press release
- Campus Solar Array, more information.
- Permeable Paving Tiles
- Mushroom Growing Workshop
- Digital Banner
- Shoe Care Station
- IT Day Presentation
- Educational Kiosks
- Touch of Nature Programs
- Touch of Nature GA
Round 10 Spring 2014
- Big Belly Solar Compactors
- CDL Preschool
- GRA for Physical Plant
- Low Flow Shower Heads
- LED Theatrical Lighting III, more information.
- Rec center – Green Wall
Round 7 Fall 2012
- Energy Efficient Bio-digester
- Center for Ecology Speaker Series
- LED Theatrical Lighting II, more information.
- Organic Vegetables
- Prairie Garden
- Steeldeck Platform System
- SolarDok Picnic Table
Round 6 Spring 2012
- Alternative Spring Break
- Climate Change Education
- Sustainability Day Green Fair
- Green Wall and Vertical Garden, more information.
- Growing LOGIC, more information.
- The Antarctica Initiative, more information.
- Antarctica Education, more information.
- Rain Garden
- Bike and Pedestrian Path
- LED Theatrical Lighting, more information.
- Vermicompost Application
Round 5 Fall 2011
Round 4 Spring 2011
Round 3 Fall 2010
- Vegetables using Vermicomposts, more information.
- Electric Vehicle, more information 1, 2.
- Turning Grease into Fuel
Round 2 Spring 2010
Round 1 Fall 2009
Sustainability-related Projects Receiving Support From the Green Fund:
SIU Restorative Club RSO - The SIU Restoration Club RSO was given money to turn the overgrown garden by Life Sciences II into a garden with different specimens of prairie grass. The original site was tilled and weeded, and a new stone path was put in. Clusters of 2-3 specimens have been planted with signaled identifying them, and a large sign discussing the background of prairielands in Illinois has been installed to help educate students and visitors about grasses native to our state.
Plant and Service Operations (PSO) - With Green Fund help, PSO installed 4 trash/recycling containers featuring a solar-powered compacting mechanism and a “smart belly” function to indicate when a container is nearly full.
In 2004, SIU received a grant to install a 28kW photovoltaic solar array by the Plant and Service Operations building. Since then, the array has produced over 91,000 kWh of electricity to offset electric purchases from other sources, and has been used for educational and research opportunities.
Sustainable Farm - The Sustainable Farm has received several Green Fund grants In 2012, the Sustainable Farm built both high and low polytunnels to extend its growing season into the winter months, providing fresh produce to students when it is normally scarce. Excess vegetables are sold at local farmer’s markets for further income to support the operation.
Imagining Geographies - Imagining Geographies was a College of Mass Communication and Media Arts-led, university- & region-wide interdisciplinary initiative with two primary missions: the first of which is to advance investigations, knowledge creation and mobilization, discussion, and multiple forms of expression by faculty, staff, and students across SIU related to space, place, culture, and identity. The second is to share these efforts with the SIU community and residents of Southern Illinois.