STARS is a points-based system of benchmarking efforts at sustainability in three comprehensive areas: Education & Research; Operations; and Planning, Administration & Engagement.
The information gathering for this assessment took a full year and required cooperation from a number of campus departments and offices. The resulting report not only highlights some of the tremendously positive sustainability work happening here at SIU, but also indicates where further progress can be made.
STARS is a fully transparent reporting system, and all information supplied is available for viewing at SIU Carbondale’s page on STARS website.
From the thousands of institutions of higher learning worldwide, more than 800 on six continents have registered to participate in AASHE’s STARS program and only about 230 have achieved a ranking of silver or above. You can view the full list of STARS institutions and their respective reports here. You can be a part of this effort! Here are the different ways you can participate:
- Join our Saluki Green Action Team!
- Join any of the sustainability-related RSOs on campus!
- Learn about our Green Office Program and get involved!
- Find and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
- Recycle! Recycle!! Recycle!!!
- Reduce your carbon footprint! Turn off lights when not in use; Use CFL or LED lights; Go paperless; Reduce trash.
- Learn more about what we do at Sustainability - Come visit us at the Innovation & Sustainaility Hub in the Student Center, right next to the Bowling Alley!