Every current SIU student, faculty, staff, or campus unit is eligible to apply for a Green Fund project grant. Awards are granted up to two times each year by the Green Fund Committee, which is composed of one faculty member, one staff member, and the three student members of the Sustainability Council.
One funding round will be held in the 2016/17 academic year with the deadline March 1, 2017. Click here for our updated Green Fund proposal and here for the rubric the Green Fund Committee follows. Completed proposals should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshops to support individuals working on proposals are scheduled for Wednesday, February 8 at noon and Monday, February 13 at 5 pm in Morris Library room 752/754. See our FAQ page for more information on filling out the application, or contact us at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: Awardees will be announced on April 27, 2017 during the Sustainability Celebration, scheduled at noon at Guyon Auditorium.
At least one representative from each awarded project must attend one of two mandatory workshops, scheduled as follows:
Thursday, May 11 at 10 am in Morris Library Room 752/754.
Wednesday, June 14 at noon in Morris Library Room 752/754.
Green Fund projects should:
- Advance sustainability on the SIU campus in one or more of the following areas: energy, water, waste, buildings, transportation, purchasing, grounds, food and dining, social equity, social practices, academics and research, and education and outreach.
- Show proof of signed approval by relevant campus department(s) prior to receiving funding, and include plans for local, state, or federal permitting if applicable.
- Include a plan for long-term maintenance and operations, as appropriate.
Preference will be given to projects that:
- Have significant student involvement or leadership role(s).
- Have education, outreach, and research components.
- Are able to obtain matching funds.
- Clearly articulate the greatest benefit to the SIU community for the least cost.
- Are collaborative in nature, involving multiple units and departments.
- Support existing campus sustainability priorities.
The Green Fund supports advancing sustainability on our campus through research, efficient design, energy and waste reduction, aesthetic upgrades, and education and outreach. Do you have a great sustainability project idea? Please consider applying to the Green Fund! Information on previously funded Green Fund projects can be found on our Green Funded Projects page.